PRODUCT NAME: eBay
PRICE: Free for buyer, Seller pays multiple fee’s
OWNER: Pierre Omidyar
Review Score – 85
eBay is an online multinational e-commerce Corporation, with operations in about 30 countries and is a multi Billion dollar industry. Primarily an online auction site as it was when it was formed in 1995, eBay now offers many opportunities for online commerce. Store fronts, Auctions, Buy it now formats, and online classified adds drive the business. eBay also has an affiliate program for marketers, however many in the industry consider eBays affiliate program to be the least user friendly in terms of setting up the links and working thru the kinks to get stuff going on your site. eBay is successful business model that has helped many become very successful with an online business.
WHO IS IT FOR?
eBay is for anyone who is able to have a verified bank account, has a computer with internet access and is at least 18 and a passion to buy and or sell online. Mainly used as an auction site, many people have become “power sellers” on eBay and are now very well off financially.
Members buy/sell mainly in an auction format where the winning bidder is rewarded the item. eBay is a place where online marketers like me and potentially you can go to learn how to present an item in an add or use good content when writing a listing. Very good skills to learn for a successful online business. I would NOT however count on eBay exclusively as your only option for e-commerce. Affiliate marketing has so much more potential in my opinion and you should not limit yourself to only eBay.
PROS AND CONS:
- Very successful company with large membership base
- Track record of success
- Free for buyers to purchase
- Large variety of items and categories to list items for sale
- Good items search feature
- Transaction Feedback system in place to improve trust
- Buy it now feature for fast transactions
- Good Affiliate Program with eBay partner network
- Seller pays listing fee and transaction fee.
- Listing editor not easily intuitive.
- Occasional fraudulent transactions happen
- No mentor program for new members
- Little member community involvement to help others
- no SSL security on their website
- no owner direct contact
- Affiliate program not user friendly
My Final thoughts. eBay is a good place to get your feet wet with online commerce if you are into buying and selling or need to get rid of excess items. I myself have an eBay account and have had some success as a drop shipper using the eBay format. They usually have fairly good customer service and have many rules in place to cut back on scams or illegal transactions. However a few still get thru. Many low cost items can drive small businesses out due to power sellers having a distinct advantage with being able to get items cheaper due to their good selling reputation. The 30 countries is a good network, but at the same time still a bit limited when taking into account the size of the online market place.
- Verdict? Legit
- Score -85
- Rank= 2 on recommend list
- Success Likelihood % = 77
I do recommend eBay as a viable and legitimate place to conduct and online business with a good chance for success.